These shows offer exciting live theatre, curricular connections, and artistic excellence, all in one package. Toby’s Theatrical Arts Productions (TAP) also provide a Common Core specific study guide for each student with pre and post lessons and extension activities.
January 2019 – March 1, 2019
*Recommended for Upper Elementary, Middle & High School.
In this fast-paced show, we meet Jackie Robinson, the man who broke the color barrier in professional baseball. Audiences will enjoy this portrayal of his determination, despite seemingly insurmountable racism. The story is driven by Branch Rickey, the owner of the Dodgers who dared to sign Robinson, who guides Robinson while believing in him and his talent. Many characters move in and out of the story that both support Robinson, and attempt to keep him down. Robinson’s use of nonviolence and unquestionable talent challenged the rules of segregation, and therefore impacted American life. We are very proud of our production of MVP and how we bring Jackie Robinson’s story to life. In an effort to keep our story telling organic, we have chosen to include some harsh language and racial slurs that we hope helps our audiences understand the bigotry Jackie experienced. This show has lessons in: MAKING A DIFFERENCE, HEROES, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS, INVESTIGATING PERSONAL STRENGTH, & DETERMINATION, FACING INJUSTICES, and has ANTI-BULLYING themes.
Book by Mary Hall Surface Conceived by Gayle Cornelison
January 22, 24, 25, 28, 29, 31
February 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12 14, 15, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28 March 1
Due to the nature of theatrical bookings all shows, dates and times are subject to change. Youth performances are show only and do not include buffet meals.
- Tickets are $10 per student for groups of 20 or more. One chaperone seat free of charge for every 10 student seats.
- For groups under 20 people, tickets are $13 per person.
- Reduced price tickets available with certain qualifications and with School Subscriptions. Please inquire.
Shows are at 10 AM with 12 Noon performances on selected afternoons. If you wish to book the entire house (230 seat minimum), with enough advanced notice, alternate show times can be considered.
Shows are performed at Toby’s Dinner Theatre at 5900 Symphony Woods Road Columbia, MD 21044, located immediately off Route 29 (provides easy access for all schools in the Baltimore-Washington Corridor).
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Once a reservation request is made, a contract will be sent out within the week. A signed contract is due back within 2 weeks with a deposit of $50 to hold your reservation. This deposit will guarantee your seats. Balance is due in full three weeks prior to your show date. Any negligence in payment may result in a cancellation of your reservation, and a forfeit of your $50 deposit.
- Performances are approximately one hour in length and are followed by a brief post-show discussion led by the actors in the show.
- Doors open for seating one half hour prior to the start of the show.
- Recording devices and cameras are prohibited during the performance due to copyright laws.
- Please bring enough chaperones to assure orderly behavior of your group.
- Notify us when you order if members of your group have special needs. We are happy to accommodate.
- Due to the nature of theatrical bookings, all programs and times are subject to change.
- Please inquire about our inclement weather policy.
- No food or drinks allowed in the theatre during the performance.
- If you are RUNNING LATE, it’s important to contact us immediately. We will try to accommodate late arrival up to 10 minutes past the show’s start time, thereafter, the stage manager must make a decision to begin the show without you.